The Eiber Neighborhood is bounded by Colfax, Wadsworth, 6th Ave, and Oak St. It is named for George E. Eiber, a local poultry rancher of the early 20th century. The town of Lakewood was first platted July 1, 1889, Colfax to 10th Ave, Harlan to Teller (present Two Creeks Neighborhood). A second platting extended the western boundary to Carr St. in 1890, into what is now the Eiber Neighborhood. Settlers and speculators homesteaded farms and ranches in the area, which supplied Denver markets with produce such as corn, sugar beets, potatoes, apples, cherries, poultry, and dairy into the 1920s and 1930s. Much of these goods were transported to Denver on the Denver and Intermountain rail line. Concrete was laid for W Colfax Ave beginning in 1916 to improve an old stage coach trail that had run from the Platte Valley to Golden, and the mountain mining communities beyond. Early farms began to be randomly parceled out in the 1910s thru 1930s, mostly along Smith Rd (Garrison St) and along 10th Ave. What might be considered "old town" Lakewood began as clusters of commercial enterprises on Colfax from Teller to Carr.